Words, Words, Words
- Visiting Artist Lecture, Oregon College of Art and Craft and Pacific Northwest College of Art joint MFA program in Applied Craft and Design, January 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Creative entrepreneurship as political practice
- Scripps College, Spring 2015
Routt Chair events, including two public lectures, dates and topics TBA
- Hiett Prize Lecture, Dallas Institute for the Humanities and Culture, November 21, 2013
"The Value of the Humanities"
- Athanaeum Lecture, Claremont McKenna College, November 6, 2013
"What is College For?: A Defense of the Liberal Arts"
- Koehn Colloquium panel, University of Oregon School of Architecture and Allied Arts, October 23, 2013
"The Edge of Educational Technology"
- Pomona College, April 4, 2013
"The Resistant Mind"
- Association Dinner Series #1, UNION/PINE, Portland OR, March 17, 2013
Food as culture
Acceptance speech for the Balakian Citation. I'm introduced from about 11:00-12:30 and speak until about 19:00.
- Horace Mann High School, October 10, 2012
“The Bureaucratized Student and the Liberal Arts”
- Yale-NUS, October 9, 2012
- The Y Syndicate, October 8, 2012
- Jane Austen Society of North America, Brooklyn NY, October 6, 2012
“Becoming a Hero: Being a Man in Austen’s World”
- Nation Magazine Internship Program, New York NY, October 5, 2012
- Business Ethics Society, University of Virginia, October 2, 2012
"The Resistant Mind in Business and Public Life”
- A Jane Austen Education Book Tour, Part 2 (the paperback)
April 25, 2012: Oregon Library Association Annual Convention, Bend OR
June 10: Printers Row Lit Fest, Chicago IL
June 11: Highland Park Public Library, Highland Park IL
June 12: Left Bank Books, St. Louis MO
September 1-2: Decatur Book Festival, Decatur GA
October 3: College of William and Mary, Williamsburgh VA
October 30: Claremont McKenna College, Claremont CA
- Rainbow Bookstore Coop, Madison WI, April 20, 2012
"The Crisis in Higher Education"
- Convocation Series Lecture, Lawrence University, April 19, 2012
"Through the Vale of Soul-Making: the Journey of the Liberal Arts"
- Center for Teaching and Faculty Development, Central Connecticut State University, February 10, 2012
"Teaching and Learning in the Age of Distraction"
- Keeton House, Cornell University, February 9, 2012
- Fall Convocation Address, Sally McDonnell Barksdale Honors College, University of Mississippi, September 12, 2011
"The Resistant Mind"
- A Jane Austen Education Book Tour
April 20: Lewis & Clark College, Portland OR
May 4: Powell’s City of Books, Portland OR
May 9: Vroman’s Books, Pasadena CA
May 10: Kepler’s Books, Menlo Park CA
May 11: Book Passage, Corte Madera CA
May 11: Books Inc, Berkeley CA
May 12: Elliott Bay Books, Seattle WA
May 16: Barnes & Noble Upper East Side, New York NY
May 18: Yale Bookstore, New Haven CT
September 13: Garden District Book Shop, New Orleans LA
September 14: Jane Austen Society of Louisiana, New Orleans LA
September 27: Canby Public Library, Canby OR
- McCoy Center for Ethics in Society, Stanford University, April 12, 2011
"Stanford Students, a.k.a. (really excellent) Sheep" (with Prof. Rob Reich)
- Keynote Speaker, The Association of Boarding Schools Annual Conference, December 3, 2010
- Pomona College Student Union, September 15, 2010
“The End of Old School”
- Banquet Speaker, National Association of Schools and Colleges of the United Methodist Church Annual Meeting, July 27, 2010
“Leadership and Learnership”
- Stanford University, IHUM 34B, May 5, 2010
“What Are You Going To Do With That?”
- United States Military Academy, EN101 and EN102, October 28-29, 2009
“Solitude and Leadership”
“Friendship: Where Have We Been, Where Are We Going, and Why Does It Matter?”
- Keeton House, Cornell University, October 3, 2008
“The Disadvantages of an Elite Education”
- Harvard University Humanities Center, October 2, 2008
“The Disadvantages of an Elite Education” (panel discussion with students)
- St. Anthony’s Hall, Yale University, September 27, 2007
“The Disadvantages of a Yale Education”